Re: HEATED GARAGE FLOORS

To: "Mark Donaldson" <ardmore@voyager.co.nz>,
Subject: Re: HEATED GARAGE FLOORS
From: "John Lehman" <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 08:16:41 -0500
Three quick comments about electric radiant floor heat:

    1.  Electricity is expensive, around here anyway.  Nat gas is about
.$60/therm; electric is $.08/kw or about $2.34/therm  (1 kw = 3413 btu)  (1
ccf nat gas = 103,000 btu)  (1 therm = 100,000 btu)

    2.  Copper wire in concrete eventually fails due to metal fatigue caused
by repeated heat cycling.  Only electric can be used with wire-in-floor.
Pex lasts indefinitely, any available fuel can be used and as the energy
market changes, a hydronic system can be modified to take advantage of the
lowest cost fuel.

    3.  Hydronic systems can use water temperatures that are reset according
to outdoor temperature thus avoiding temperature setpoint over- or
under-shooting.

One last comment, electric radiant floor heating is still far superior to
any type of forced air heating.  It is also cheaper to run than  any other
type of electric heating.

IMHO

John Lehman
Ohio Regional Office
J.C. Mottinger Associates, Inc.
Manufacturers' Representatives
1008 Crook St.,  Grafton, OH  44044
Ph: (440) 926-2404   Fax (440 ) 926-1194
JELehman@ix.netcom.com   www.Wirsbo.com