Re: 5 speed question

To: Transmancat@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5 speed question
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:53:15 -0500
As far as VARAC (eastern Canada) is concerned, we expect the transmission
casing to be what came with the car.  We also expect the type of
synchromesh to be what came with the car.  We do allow period available
gearsets, which can be of modern manufacture to the old ratios, etc.  I
know that Colotti, for example, may have manufactured five speed gearsets
to be installed in the original gearbox., and we would probably be
receptive to an original Colotti gearbox, but would not allow a modern
five-speed conversion nor a dog engagement conversion to ultra-close ratios.

Most people in our group run Jack Knight or similar gears, of the style
available in the sixties.  A few people do push the rules and run dog boxes
but we frown at them and some day may even go so far as to enforce some of
our rules ;)  We do not allow substitution of modern gear boxes at all,
with no leeway.

Our car classes cut off at 1961, for the most part.

Hope this helps, Brian