Re: S. U. Carbs

To: Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: S. U. Carbs
From: Carl Braun <clbraun@mwci.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 11:08:12 -0600
Hi Jack,

I used Vizzard's information to modified the 2 x 1 1/2 inch carbs on my
1275 cc street mini.  I don't have any before- after performance
comparisons because I did the modifications as I was building up the
engine the first time.  However is drive ability is still excellent and
judging from how the car runs I believe his recommendations work.

The modifications I did were these:

-  1/4 inch ram pipes in K&N air cleaners
-  Streamlined protruding metal on the bottom of the piston
-  Blended out all casting parting lines within the I.D. of the air
passage
-  Blended the inside of the air passage where it goes from round to
square and back to round.
-  Drastically cut away the throttle shaft leaving only a thin section
on one side of the butterfly
-  Removed all protruding butterfly screw ends sticking out of the
throttle shaft
-  A partial job of knife edging the butterflies but not quite down to
the full thin edge Vizzard suggests.  My reasoning was that I wanted
good sensitivity in the idle adjustment on a street car and I was not
sure this could be maintained with knife edges.  Still don't know.

Regards,

Carl Braun