Re: Trailer Sway

To: rwg1@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Trailer Sway
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:21:01 EST
While we are on the subject of trailering and related problems, I think I
should share a point that no one has touched on yet.

 I bought a year old truck in 1975.  It was a stripped Ford F-100 with a 300
inch six and three on the tree.  The only options were disc brakes and an AM
radio.  I tried to flat tow my 1963 Scout and the truck developed a massive
shimmy especially under braking, totally evil!!  I took it straight to the
Ford dealer who didn't have a clue as to what the problem was and just wanted
to start replacing parts.  He did a brake job and I replaced the shocks which
helped some but it was still scary under braking.  Several months later I
went to my tire dealer to replace the rubber and told him to replace the
tires with what was on there.  He looked at the tires and said, "Why don't
you considering buying truck tires for your truck?" My reaction was "Dah".  I
replaced the tires and the Scout towed fine.

Moral of story, tires on the tow vehicle make a big difference.

Rod