Re: Fw: Racing in the Fifties and early 60's.

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Racing in the Fifties and early 60's.
From: "Graeme Sutherland" <graeme@xara.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:54:25 +0100
    Although the FIA and RAC MSA don't allow some of the modifications
that have been discussed here (e.g. Datsun boxes in Sprites), there are
still some very dubious cars here in the UK: Some of the more developed
saloons in the UK resemble a modern Touring Car, whilst I know that a
few of the cars that are racing have no original factory parts other
than the chassis number. And then there are some individuals who spend
a fortune on preparing cars: A top spec Tuthill Porsche or Schirle
Griffith will set you back the thick end of $100,000, which is probably
a fairly common figure in top-flight historics, and I know of one
Bizzarinni that has cost around half a million to develop.

    Perhaps the answer to Kas and Don's problems would be for someone to
start up a series along the lines of the HSCC Roadsports series. As far
as I know, this series allows virtually no modifications to the cars,
other than the mandatory safety equipment (extinguishers, harnesses,
roll-over bars, etc.), and all cars are required to have a current MoT,
which is an official certificate allowing a car to run on British roads.
It's supposed to be a very cheap series to compete in, and I'm seriously
considering buying a Mini Marcos that's been set up for it,
and taking part.

    Another alternative would be to press for more events like the
Goodwood Revival, where the organisers prefer the cars to actually look
like a period racer. (Which is something that very few historic racers
that I've seen actually achieve.)

        Graeme