Re: Arrgh !

To: Malaboge@aol.com
Subject: Re: Arrgh !
From: Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:32:34 -0700
Nick,

Buy a book on paint and body.  Automotive Paint Handbook : Paint Technology for
Auto Enthusiasts and Body Shop Professionals, ISBN: 1557882916, is pretty good
and is available from Amazon.com for $14.00.  Polyurethane paints are used in
California and can easily be purchased by the hobbyist. Dupont or PPG are good
brands.

The easiest paint is a base coat clear coat type. The base coat is often
metallic
and dries in 1-2 min. This means that it can be paint outside during a calm
morning. The clear coat takes 15 min. to tack and then another 2-3 hours to
cure.
The clear coats are almost always sanded and then polished for a great finish.
This means if a bug happens to land on you new, wet cleat coat, you can pick it
off with tweezers and continue painting. Any blemish will be wet sanded and
polished after it cures.

Always wear a respirator. The filter type with a new charcol filter is fine for
outside.

As a hobbyist, you are not covered by California's VOC regulations. You can even
use Lacquer if you want. It is an easier paint to apply, but not as durable as
polyurethane.

The HVLP guns are nice. There is a lot less over spray (more paint gets on the
car), and if you are painting outside less paint gets on your neighbors car. A
Binks or Devilbis HVLP gun is $300-$400. They need a 5hp compressor to keep up
with the gun.

Paint, primer, catalyst and clear will cost about $300 for a Tiger, the stuff is
expensive.

Hope you like to sand,

Craig Wright