More Starter Fixes...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: More Starter Fixes...
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:49:55 EDT
I know you've all heard enough about starters already, but I had one more
thought to throw out there...

When I had my old Suburban w/a 454...it didn't like to start after it got hot
from a tow.  Its a chronic problem on Chevy big blocks...the exhaust
manifolds get so hot and are so close to the starter, that they literally
cook it.  If any of you have this problem with your tow vehicle, there is a
solution.  J.C. Whitney catalog sells a starter heat shield with insulating
material that slips right over it.  They also have one for the solenoid on
top of it.  I put one one and each on and it stopped all my starter problems.
  The old solenoid had gotten so hot, the bakelite turned to powder and just
disintegrated on one of them.

OK, I"ll shut up now....

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128