Corvair V8 answer

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Corvair V8 answer
From: VEENET@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:19:13 EDT
I've been watching all this speculation about instaling a V8 into a Corvair
and which direction things have to go....
Here is the answer...I have in front of me a parts catalog from Clarks
Corvairs, which lists among other things a kit to convert a Corvair to V8
power..In the description of the kit and how it works is the following..

"And best of all, by simply bolting the Chevy V-8 engine to the front of your
Corvair transaxle, you are not hasseled with having to make internal
modifications to trans or engine to to get them to rotate together.Yes , you
can convert to Chevy V-8 power without having to reverse the engine".
They go on to say....
"The special input shaft C5354 replaces the Corvair clutch gear and is
installed with special main shaft and bearing C5352 to provide for power
input from the front of the transmission".
And ....
"With this set up everything rotates in the right direction.Standard flywheel
and clutch for the V-8 are used"

So you end up with a mid -engined ,fully independant car.....And you DON'T
turn the transaxle around or have to REVERSE
 anything......
Looks like a pretty interesting set up to me
I hope this clears things up.... If anyone is interested Clarks Corvairs
phone # is 413 625 9776.....
Jery Burr
REAR engined ,corvair powered, Devin Special