Re: MGB Negative Camber

To: larryhoy@cwix.com
Subject: Re: MGB Negative Camber
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:03:52 EDT

<<
 Is anyone out there using negative camber wishbone arms on an MGB?

 I was wondering what the camber is with these arms (if there are various
 types of arms I am not aware of them, I saw a set in the Moss Catalog).  How
 much improvement have you experienced in cornering?  Are they worth
 installing?  What is the downside (if any) you have encountered.

 These questions are concerning my race car, but I guess I would also wonder
 if they would be recommended for my street car.  Both cars are chrome bumper
 cars that have been lowered.

 Larry Hoy, Denver, CO USA
 1970 MGB Daily Driver ~ 1967 MGB Vintage Racer ~ 1969 MGB Undergoing V8
 conversion
 http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com/
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Larry,

I vintage race a 1964 MGB which has the heavy duty (shorter) coil springs
from Moss in the front and MGBGT springs with lowering blocks in the rear.  I
also use a 7/8" sway bar in front with heavy duty shock valving all around
and nylotron bushings front and back.

I made my own negative camber lower wishbones.  I took stock lower arms and
welded up the holes and moved them 1/4" out and redrilled.  I also beefed up
the area with 1/8" metal and used 1/4" longer grade 8 bolts on the lower
trunion.  I also drilled and cross drilled the new bolts and inserted zerk
fittings in the heads to grease the lower trunions.

I just recently checked the camber on a computerized wheel alignment machine.
 The new lower arms I made have 2 degrees negative camber.  The factory
setting is 1 degree positive, for an increase of 3 degrees to the negative.

The car handles well and I am satisified with the results.  FYI, I am running
BFG R1 tires, 185 x 60 x 14 on Minilite wheels with knock offs.

Cheers,

Rod Schweiger