Re: Re: Roller rocker posting for fellow racer

To: RTOWELL@worldnet.att.net, owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Re: Roller rocker posting for fellow racer
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:34:54 EST
In a message dated 1/22/99 5:26:32 AM, RTOWELL@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>Nice to be clean and all ... but some of us would like to add a degree of
>reliability that isn't there otherwise.  Vintage is becoming prohibitive due
>to the need for "period" parts.  That's all fine and good for those with an
>unlimited budget ... for the rest of us, it means that we can't play.
>Should we allow roller rockers? ... I don't know, but racing an early '60's
>BMC car is challenging at best and painful when the rules say "build it to
>1964 specs." When I need 2-3 engines to get through a season at $6-8K each,
>I think we've lost the point on amateur racing.  If having fun is no longer
>a primary objective, then we're on the right track.
I haven't noticed any more reliability from using all these "reliable" parts.
In my experience, 100% of all the cars running these modern, illegal HD parts
do it so they can spin the engines harder and put out more power. In fact,
they are almost always less reliable than the legal engines.
Harold Pace