Re: SVRA Schedule for 1999

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: SVRA Schedule for 1999
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:21:38 EST
In a message dated 12/8/98 1:00:05 PM, JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

<<1999
SVRA SCHEDULE

April 23-25     NAS Oceana Grand Prix   (tentative event)
Virginia Beach, VA>>

        What sort of event is this?  Is there a racetrack in Va. Beach that I
don't
know about?  If this is a possible race date, I'll plan to be there 1) because
it's not far from home (NC) and 2)  My wife embraces any excuse to vacation at
the beach.

        Speaking of racetracks in Virginia, I made a trip last weekend to see
the
progress at Virginia International Raceway.  That is (to be accurate - 'was'
and 'will be') an incredible racetrack!  3.2 miles, lots of elevation change,
every kind of corner from slow hairpins to fast sweepers & all set in some
very pretty countryside.  We did a tour of the track and it doesn't take a lot
of imagination to see that driving VIR and doing it well is going to be an
awesome challenge.
I'm very excited about this project and having the opportunity to race at a
track that is close to home for me. (about 90 miles)  It's even more exciting
that it will be such a demanding and challenging track.
        At this stage, they have cleared a lot of the brush and trees that had
grown
up alongside and on the track itself.  The old pavement is in pretty bad shape
and I understand that one of the first prioritys is to get the repaving done.
If you have looked at their website, you know that they also have grand plans
for a clubhouse, garages, a pool, tennis courts, etc., etc.  They have a huge
tract of land to work with (1200 acres).
        If you live in the area and are interested in buying a membership to the
club, you get use of all the country club facilities along with a certain
amount of track time and other priveleges.  The good news for the less well
funded (such as myself) is that there should be several vintage events on
their calendar.  The earliest could be next fall.  We were told that the plan
was to have the track ready for an SCCA Regional that would be combined with
vintage cars possibly in October of next year.
        The people involved in this project are all top notch so I have a lot of
confidence that they will be successful.  Let's all hope so, we could really
use a good road course in this area.

        Doug Meis
        '67 Honda S800