Guggenhiem Museum--Excellent motorcycle exhibit

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Guggenhiem Museum--Excellent motorcycle exhibit
From: jm-dw@ultranet.com (JOE MANSFIELD)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 10:29:16 +0100
The idea of motorcycles in the Gugg kinda got my mind to fumpher and
sputter a bit when I first heard of it. I mean really, this outstanding
Frank Lloyd Wright 5th Avenue museum as a venue for the exhibiting of these
vehicles of such questionable repute is a bit much-don't you think?
Anyway, I recently dragooned my family to the Gugg and the exhibit--titled
"The Art of the Motorcycle" was a real win for us all.
First of all, the Guggenheim Museum is an outstanding architectural
achievement -check out the Museum website at http://www.guggenheim.org
Upon entering I asked the guard at door "How many levels are the
motorcycles on? He smuggly replied "All 7 levels!"  The exhibit starts with
the first motorcycle from 1868 on the lower level and works up to the most
recent and supersonic cycles of today such as  Massimo Tamburini's new MV
Agusta F4 which can reach 170 MPH! I especially liked the bikes from the
1930s. Since my wife and smother in law aren't especially fond of
machinery, they sat in the downstairs hall and listened to a live jazz
concert and were quite pleased. Just to capture your interest to this
exhibition, I'll leave you with this hopefully puzzling thought-I said that
the cycles were on 7 levels. That's because there are no floors in the
Guggenheim.  Exhibition runs thru the 21st of Sept.
Best to all
Joe Mansfield