Sprite Gear Box tail seal...

To: <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Sprite Gear Box tail seal...
From: Scott Chaiken <schaiken@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 09:40:20 -0400
First, as a newcomer, I would like to say how much I enjoy the stream of mail,
especially the 'string bantor', and thank you all for a great many tips I have
already extracted from the mail......I now  have a problem, fairly common I
understand. I am running a '59 Lotus 7 Series 1 with a Sprite BMC-a, 948cc,
mid-stage tuning and a ribbed gearbox; I have a tail seal leak which is getting
to the point at which I must pull the box and correct the problem; I am
beginning to research all that I can, e.g., driveshaft balance, venting,
modifications to the seal/seat, major shops that perhaps make those
modifications, etc. ..I know you guys know what to do and I am looking forward
to the good, bad and ugliness of the 'string' potential. although I can't
imagine a more touchy subject than Lucas.............they didn't have a part in
the design of this gearbox?...please advise

Scott Chaiken
Lotus 7 Series 1 # 503