Re: BMC A series oil seal problem

To: gerrybraz@voyager.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: BMC A series oil seal problem
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 13:22:17 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-24 21:41:44 EDT, gerrybraz@voyager.net writes:

<< expensive aluminum oil seal carriers for the crank from Winners Circle.  >>

I have had a similar on going experience with a BMC powered FJ. I too used the
Winner's Circle seal set-up. It didn't help the leak much and tended to "dump"
oil after running. I tried improving the concentricity, etc. but nothing
seemed to help the leaking. However, the Tilton clutch never slipped and
worked fine in spite of the oil. I finally just sealed the bell housing with
silicone sealer, plugged the drain hole and got in the habit of draining the
bellhousing after each session. A real pain, but it did work.

Dave Taber says that if you take the time to fit the rear main cap and the
half moon upper piece, you will get very little leakage. You must lap the
parts to get a perfect fit.

Did you ever wonder what that little cotter pin  in the hole in British
bellhousings is for? It's to make sure the hole doesn't get plugged with dirt
and cause the whole thing to fill up with oil. Now that's real engineering,
isn't it?

JW