Fuel Safe Pro Cell in MGB

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Safe Pro Cell in MGB
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 12:14:18 EDT
Hello List,

I'm posting this question to the list because I'm sure someone out there can
give me the proper input.  I am planning to install a Fuel Safe  8 gallon Pro
Cell in my 1964 MGB vintage racer.

The first question is aluminum or steel?  Is steel safer?  Is the weight
savings with aluminum worth it?

Second:  If I bolt the cell to the bottom of the trunk floor (where the stock
tank is) and just cut an opening in the trunk floor for the filler plate,  it
seems that the cell will hang down very low, perhaps dangerously so.  I know
that low is good because it gets the weight down low, but the car is already
lowered around 2" from stock (combination of suspension and 60 series tires)
and I fear that I may be hitting the cell on driveways etc.  I figure I can
cut out an opening in the trunk floor so that the entire fuel cell can slide
in from the top.  I can then make brackets that will allow the cell to be
mostly below the trunk floor and some above it.

I would welcome any input from MGB owners who have "been there and done this"

Many thanks,

Rod Schweiger
So. San Francisco