1968 Lotus Elan S4SE couple For Sale (long)

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1968 Lotus Elan S4SE couple For Sale (long)
From: MHKitchen <MHKitchen@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 08:51:39 EDT
To all:

I'm posting this as a favor to someone who contacted me over the net.  His car
sounds interesting....wish I could buy it!!....maybe you will.. Please contact
him directly.  I have no interest in this transaction.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128

Lotus Elan S4SE Coupe For Sale
The information about my car is as follows:

I have owned my Lotus since 1972.  I purchased it from a friend who
bought the car new (he ordered it) locally in Beverly Hills.

The car is a 1968 Lotus Elan S4SE Coupe.  Fully "Federalized" for 1968.
This car was specifically built for the U.S. market, is left hand drive
and was delivered directly to the original dealer in Beverly Hills for
the customer.  If you are not familiar, it is equipped with the Ford
Twin Cam 1556 cc engine and has the dual Stromberg 175CDE carburetors.
This car is Serial Number 36/7947.  It is the 52nd unit built of the
Series 4 cars.  All Series 4 cars are 12 volt systems and are negative
ground systems too.

The color is bright Lotus Yellow.  It is the original color and was
repainted with factory materials in 1984.  It has the original black
Lotus Badge (not the green & yellow).  This was in memory of Jim Clark.
The condition of the paint is excellent and has only one very minor
scratch.  There are no "stress" cracks in any of the body fiberglass.
The paint is acrylic enamel and has only been "color sanded" once  That
was when the car was repainted in 1984 and during the final paint
buffing/polishing process.

The car has the original black interior.  I had a black headliner
installed in 1978 because I did not like the white headliner.  The
carpets were the original dark brown/black but they need to be
replaced.  The condition of the black simulated leather is very good.  A
person who wanted to restore the car would probably recover the seats
just for the new scent but they are fully serviceable.  The top of the
instrument panel (crashpad) is like new or near new.  The vehicle has
been garaged most of it's life so that has helped to keep it in very
nice condition.

The original wooden dash panel was coated with a clear protective
material from the factory.  This is the bad part of the car because it
has cracked over the years and has peeled in spots too.  This item needs
to be refinished or replaced.  I understand that the correct panel is
readily available and not too expensive either.  Incidentally, the car
has not ever had a radio!  It is still equipped with the original wooden
radio cover plate installed.  Also, it does not have any antennae for a
radio although this item can be installed without any problem.

The car will need Rotoflex joints and a few other minor items.  The ones
on the car are the original factory installed items!  Current cost of
new Rotoflex Couplings are about $72.00 each for the later style
"Sprint" (reinforced) type coupling.  They are in stock locally and
readily available but, when necessary to order them, it takes only a few
days to receive a full set.

I have the original owner's manual, a couple of factory workshop manuals
and a few miscellaneous advertising brochures.  One of the shop manuals
is a 1962 pre-production version and the other is a 1974 "all Elan
models" version.

This car is unrestored and could use some minor refurbishment (carpets
and wooden instrument panel) but is in very good condition.  It has new
tires and the original center-lock "knock off" wheels.

The chassis is like new and has not ever had any rust or damage.  The
pinions have been kept properly lubed too!  The mileage is 74,237
(ORIGINAL!).  Virtually everything on the car is original.  It has
always been in Southern California (San Fernando Valley - mostly).  It
is currently registered through October 1998 and insured too.  The car
needs a few minor items to be a top notch unrestored example of a great
car.

I am asking $9900. U.S. DOLLARS.

Best regards,

Don Cordier
Aviation Consultant
Glendale, California, USA

Email: doncordier@earthlink.net
Office:  (805) 527-7731 (24 hour operations)
Hangar:  (818) 997-7640 (24 hour response)
Member:  NBAA, NATA, PHPA, AOPA