Re: Titling A Race Car (California)

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Titling A Race Car (California)
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:40:03 PST
I believe Rod had it right on target.  As long as the car is never moved
or operated on public roads, the DMV doesn't even need to know the car
exists.  Production-based cars like Myles' Cortina likely had a title at
some point, but most of the purpose-built racers like my Formula Junior
never did.  A race car title is transferred by a signature on the last
page of the current log book.  You could get a bill of sale and not file
it just for the sake of having SOME paper.  Keeping the cancelled
checks may also be prudent.

Actually trying to register a car in California that has not been
registered for many years can be painful in the extreme.  One poor guy
in the Alfa club was going to get reamed for much more than the car
was worth just to take it out of the state forever.  You don't want to
know what he did to survive the experience. ;=)