British Car FAQs

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: British Car FAQs
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:20:37 -0500
I generally dislike postings of humor (or even worse, attempted humor)
but this was too good to pass up. All you British car owners take note:

Subject:
        British Car FAQs

Rebuild an antique sports car. You will begin to understand....

British Car FAQs

   Updated June, 1997

   Contributors:
   LARRY WRIGHT
   W. R. Gibbons

   HTML by Paul Heuer

   Q. Should I install a crane electronic ignition to my Spitfire?

   A. No. Cranes, which are used to lift very heavy things (like
Austin-Healey
   engines), have motors that operate at very low RPM's; the advance
curve
   would be wrong.

   Q. My LBC won't start and I suspect the fuel pump. Help!

   A. This is common on British cars, and will provide you with many
happy
   hours spent with your LBC. American cars do not have this problem, it
   seems; the rear of Yank cars are raised so high that the fuel tank is
above
   the carburettors, which are then fed by gravity, thus not requiring
fuel
   pumps.

   Q. I have an 1970 MGB for sale, red, 61K miles. Anyone interested?

   A. Not anymore. The fact that you, like most everyone else, didn't
put a
   location in your message, did not stop us from finding out that you
and
   your car
   are in Sri Lanka. A lovely island, to be sure, but nobody wants to
pay the
   $15,000 in freight to get the car back here.

   Q. Is my car's name pronounced "Jag-wahr" or "Jag-wire"?

   A. Well, you are correct in that it's two syllables, but it sounds
more
   like "bring-cash".

   Q. What's the best way to keep my LBC from rusting?

   A. Having NASA loft the car into a polar orbit should be effective,
but you
   wouldn't be able to drive the car. You could get get most of the
benefits,
   including not being able to drive the car, by building a dehumidified
   garage and never taking the car out of it.

   Q. If I could afford a dehumidified garage, I'd be driving a
"Jag-wire",
   you fool. Now what?

   A. Buy a Daimler SP250 and leave it in the driveway. Even if your
neighbors
   drive current-generation Tauruses and Citroens, they'll be offended
enough
   by this eyesore that they will take up a collection to build a garage
for
   you. If another neighbor brings home a Zimmer Golden Spirit, however,
then
   you've been out-bid.

   Q. Can you recommend a good, reliable mechanic that services LBC's
for
   reasonable rates?

   A. Sorry, wrong List. Send a 'subscribe' message to
gullible@naive.com ,
   they should be able to help you.

   Q. I'm looking for a MIG welder at affordable prices. Where should I
look?

   A. Try the Russian Air Force; current price is two pairs of blue
jeans and
   they'll throw in a Trabant to use as a welding cart. BTW, welders
designed
   for
   cars work almost as well.

   Q. I do not understand the animosity on the List towards Miatas.
Should I
   trade in my LBC on one?

   A. Not a good deal from a financial standpoint. All of the money you
will
   have spent so far on engine hoists, sandblasters, MIG welders,
bearing
   presses, etc., would have been wasted. Keep your LBC so that you get
   return on your investment in these tools.

   Q. Should I keep my older LBC perfectly original, with no modern
"enhancements"?

   A. Absolutely. Scrounge the junkyards for 30-year-old gas out of the
tanks
   of cars wrecked long ago. Finding vintage air for the tires might be
   tougher;
   exhuming the dead to pump air from their lungs is frowned upon. Fill
the
   glove box with antique unpaid parking tickets, most drivers in major
cities
   have
   plenty of these. Old brake fluid is easy, as most of us on the List
have
   many half-filled cans left over from previous brake jobs, and we'll
be glad
   to sell it
   to you. BTW, Check out the List from your Univac computer with a baud
rate
   of something like five or six.

   Q. What does MOWOG mean?

   A. Nothing. The man who made the wood forms for castings liked subtle
   practical jokes.

   Q. Should I use silicon break fluid in my car?

   A: Of course. Since silicon is essentially sand, it does not absorb
water
   as readily as standard brake (note spelling for future reference)
fluid. It
   is easy on
   paint, provided you don't blow it at the paint at high velocity, or
stick
   it on paper and rub it across the paint.

   Q. I have read that rubber break seals swell up in DOT 3. Is that
right?

   A: Yup. Look like gummy bears in a day or so and leak like crazy
nuts. In
   DOT 5, on the other hand, they don't swell up quite enough, and leak
like
   crazy nuts. In DOT 4, however, they swell up just enough. It is
called the
   Goldilocks principle. Interestingly, gummy bears soaked in DOT 3 are
   perfectly preserved, but they taste terrible. And for future
reference, it
   is brake, not break.

   Q. Is it true you should not store batteries on concrete?

   A. Nope. It is perfectly ok to store batteries on concrete. It is not
   considered proper, however, to repair the rust holes in the battery
tray of
   your car with
   concrete. Take it to a body shop and have it repaired properly with
   aluminum and rivets.

   Q. Has anyone heard of this Moss Motors place?

   A. Yes.

   Q. What size tires should I put on my MGB?

   A. Use 195/70 SR 14 on the driver's side, and 175/70 SR 14 on the
   passenger's side. This combination compensates nicely for the
different
   settling of
   the springs on the two sides. Do not get confused and put the two
larger
   tires on the front; the constant struggle to go uphill will
substantially
   reduce
   performance.

   Q. What color British Racing Green should I use to match my original
paint?

   A. 94 subtly different British Racing Green were used on MGB's. Most
people
   give up and paint their car Porsche red. If you are trying to match
the
   original paint with BRG and have a problem, consider the possibility
your
   car may have originally been yellow or white. It may be tough to get
an
   exact
   match to either of these with BRG, but it should be close enough for
most
   practical purposes.

   Q. On my way to work today I saw 6 Miatas with their tops up. Why is
that?

   A. It is not well known, but the Miata isn't actually a convertible.
It has
   a fixed head, cunningly covered with cloth to resemble a convertible,
like
   many
   Lincoln Town Cars. Any you see with the top actually down are custom
   conversion jobs.

   Q. I have a really bad leak from my gas tank. Is it OK if I get some
   plumber's solder and a propane torch and solder up the hole?

   A. It's OK with us. In the interest of preserving your car for future
   generations to enjoy, remove the tank first and perform the soldering
   operation some
   distance from the car. Adios.

   Q. My car overheats all the time. My mechanic said the water is
moving
   through the radiator too fast to get cooled off. Is this right?

   A. Well, although it makes no physical sense whatever, racers and
mechanics
   everywhere agree completely that one way to improve the cooling of
your
   car is to slow down the flow through the radiator. Many owners swear
that
   this has worked for them. British cars, it seems, are so nearly human
that
   they
   succumb to the placebo effect. It is probably worth noting that the
owners
   of british cars are nearly human, too.

--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA