Fuel Cell Placement

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Cell Placement
From: Clark <Clark@dnf.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:43:35 -0800
Hi All,

I am getting to the point with my Devin-Porsche restoration that I am going
to have to make a descision on the fuel cell placement.  When the Devin
body was fitted, the fuel tank was located just behind the grill opening
and in front of the torsion bar tubes.  There was pretty much nothing that
would come between the tank and haybales in a direct ahead collision.  The
fuel was air-cooled, though.

This placement was great for weight distribution.  The only other space I
have up front is in the passenger side foot well.

Assuming that modern fuel cell technology is what it is, and assuming that
I build some sort of frame around the cell that would force it upward in
the event of a front end collision, is it ridiculous for me to consider
mounting a cell in front of the torsion bars?  Does anyone else have a
similar problem with their special?

Is it really that much safer to have the fuel riding around as a passenger?
I assume I would have to build some sort of box to contain any spills, aka a
"firewall".

I read the VARA rule on the Vintage Racer's Web Page and the closest
statement of relevance is "properly mounted".

Any thoughts? Members of the Porsche Haters Club need not respond.

Clark

Team Thicko Porsche Spy

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html