Alfa Disc Conversion

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alfa Disc Conversion
From: CLC SF <CLCSF@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:35:17 EST
Well, everything was going great with my conversion. The 62 Guilia disc brakes
bolted right on to my 56 Guilietta and the master was no problem. However,
when I got done with the the wheels I discovered that my Panasports won't
clear the caliper!!!

For the time being I'll just go back to my steel wheels, but the difference is
almost 10 lbs per wheel! 40 lbs of rotating unsprung weight, UGH, I hate when
that happens.....

The most interesting discovery is that the difference in weight is an urban
legend.
The total weight of the drum unit is 37 lbs. The total weight of the disc unit
is 37lbs! The only difference is in the rotating weight. Believe it or not the
Alfin drum is HEAVIER than the rotor by a couple of pounds.

Unrelated question, what is the difference in piston size between the master
on a 62 Guilia and the master of a 69 Duetto? Or, where can I get this info
without tearing things apart and risking seal damage.

Back to the garage, my nails will never be clean again.

DonSF