Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios (com. interest)-3rd reply

To: FHammett <FHammett@aol.com>
Subject: Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios (com. interest)-3rd reply
From: Cheryl Barnes <cbarnes@netnet.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:10:43 -0600
Dammit, Hammet, get a grip.

The gate:
People will come to see "old" cars.  Packaging and not
compromising on the "spirit of vintage racing" can and
does draw crowds.

RMVR does a nice job of it each year at Steamboat, Colo., on
a temporary street race course set up at the base of the ski
area over Labor Day.

There is the mystique of the mountains, rare and
beautiful cars plus the regular grids--Vees to Vettes,
and lots of publicity, thanks to local television station
co-sponsorship and considerable advertising in Victory
Lane.

Nice track time, pits teeming with automobile enthusiasts
and it doesn't hurt to have a fleet of hot air balloons
taking off out of the mist in the morning into a brilliant
blue sky, great restaurants and an enthusiastic Chamber of
Commerce and ski area management assistance, either.

The Brian Redman International Challenge (BRIC) (nee Chicago
Historics) also attracts big crowds and grids.  Track time
is limited, but it is a racing "event" that does reasonably
well at the gate.  It's not cheap for either drivers or
spectators. BRIC, held at Road America in July, also has
a certain cache to it.

I either work or drive at these races because they are "events"
and there are cars and friends I don't see anywhere else.

Racing philosophy:
I don't want to be on the track with someone who thinks a
race car is a disposable toy.

Whoops.  Let me rephrase that.  I don't want anyone on the
track with me who thinks a race car is a disposable toy. I
like my vintage race car.  I don't want to be spectator fodder.

Crashes do belong in another mileau.  Off road racing, perhaps,
current cars, perhaps, but I really don't wish crashes, punts,
race rage or red mist mistakes on anyone.

I want to see rare cars.  I want folks to feel good about taking
them out on the track and racing them.

We're celebrating a time in racing with, in some cases,
historically significant automobiles.  Rolling history.
Rolling art.  Rolling fun!

Vintage racing will work commercially if we want to work at it, a
decision each club must make for each event.

I truly enjoy the camaraderie and cars we drive.  And, as
as a public relations practitioner, I'm SURE I could promote
some of our vintage racing personalities :-)
Just look at the postings!

Apologies to all for the breadth of bandwidth.

Happy New Year!

Cheryl Barnes
Vintage Vee #94