Re: How to insult most everybody in one step...

To: ardmore@voyager.co.nz, MorrisOxford@s054.aone.net.au
Subject: Re: How to insult most everybody in one step...
From: JWoesvra <JWoesvra@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:16:20 EST
In a message dated 97-12-16 09:00:31 EST, ardmore@voyager.co.nz writes:

<<  Jack....

 > You wrote....
 >
 > "Could you please translate "turret into American English?"
 >
 > As always I forget that English is not universal in certain terms (viz,
hood, trunk, bonnet, boot, etc), whereas the list itself  is universal - mea
culpa.

 > Turret in this context referred to the roof of the saloon (see there I go
again - sedan) car.

 > ....Andrew

        Andrew,
        I've just learned something.
        Even though I'm just across the Tasman, here in NZ a turret
        (I've always been told) is the uplifted part of the front
        chassis to which the (front) lever-arm (usually Armstrong)
        shock-absorber is bolted.

        Mark
        Auckland

        (Ausatralasian semantics???)

Thanks for the English lessons. I thought I knew most of the terms, but
"turret" was a new one. Both of these descriptions make sense. Here, we
usually think of a turret as being able to rotate about an axis.

Jack Woehrle