Re: non-DOT appr tires, why?

To: "Richard G. Ballantine" <rgb@frontier.net>
Subject: Re: non-DOT appr tires, why?
From: hayes@mediaone.net
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:42:37 -0500
Richard G. Ballantine wrote:

> At an Alfa club gathering in Colorado in September a couple fellows
> were admiring the Goodyear Blue Streaks on my car and asked, why, if
> those tires bring me safely back to the paddock after lap after lap on
> the fast down-and-back track that once was Stapleton airport, they
> aren't OK for street use?
>     I said I thought it was because of the sidewalls, that the sidewalls
> lack....lack....lack.... What should I have said?

Besides the strength in the tread and sidewalls (not good in potholes -
ou got potholes out there?), I don't think race tires have any
compounding to resist ozone. Ever notice the cracks in a race tire only
a couple of years old? I bought a car with some 3-4 year old Dunlops and
they looked like they were from a car abandoned in the 30s!

--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm