Re: TA incidnet, was Stirling Moss black flagged?

To: EHSMITH@us.oracle.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: TA incidnet, was Stirling Moss black flagged?
From: bkincaid@reasoning.com (Bill Kincaid)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:29:15 -0700

> The incident was apparently quite dramatic from the stands (I was 1/2 a lap
> back at the time ;-))  When the Boss's collided, they both spun in
> opposite directions, with Ken Epsman then driving *between* the two
> cars.  Ken did want us to put on a good show, but I think this was
> more than he asked for...;-)

I saw it from the turn 9 bridge and didn't observe contact- they
went into 10 all over each other, both locked up, and both spun
in a beautifully choreographed effect, with the following cars
neatly threading between them.  Nice driving.  I thought everyone
had emerged unscathed.  It was IMO one of the most fun races to
watch; Parnelli has as heavy a foot as ever and watching those
beasts slither through the Corkscrew was a kick.  (Re. Parnelli,
one of the defining moments in my growing teenage infatuation
with racing was a picture of Parnelli in one of those very same
Boss 302s, in a 3/4 front shot rounding a corner on two wheels,
with the whole right side of the car seriously concave.  Now
THAT was racing...  I find it a bit amusing to see these old
muscle cars all prettied up and given table manners.  And to
return to the SCCA Pro Racing thread, why can't the Trans Am
resemblance to production machinery?  Who knows, might be
an audience.)

-Bill Kincaid

P.S. Regardless of the original infraction, I thought it was
pretty poor form for Stirling to ignore the black three times
(or was it four?).  His stock with me dropped a few points.