In defense of Stirling Moss

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net, chkangmd@qnis.net,
Subject: In defense of Stirling Moss
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:12:45 -0400 (EDT)
Amen, Brother Kitchen, preach on!
        Yes it is true that the rich and famous can generally count on
preferential
treatment at vintage events.  We'll have to wait and see how the Moss
incident is handled by the organizers and Mr. Moss.
        But let's not call for Mr. Moss' head and call Steve Earl nasty names
just
yet.  Although I have seen enough to expect that I would be punished more
harshly for the same incident, I would also expect that my good record and
reputation would count for something.  If Moss has a good record for racing
in a sportsmanlike manner and keeping his nose clean, he too should be
treated fairly in light of his record in vintage racing.

owners
are often financially abused by the organizers.  Are we not the real owners
of the product that is vintage racing?  If corporate sponsorship is being
attracted to the sport and more spectators are paying to watch US and OUR
cars, why do entry fees continue to go up?!  Somebody is making a buck on
this.  At some point, I would expect the success of vintage racing to benefit
the owners (CAR owners) in the form of lower cost to enter these
well-supported events.

        That's my rave for the day.  see you at Watkins Glen next week.  Anyone
attending is cordially invited to drop by the Team Escargot Hospitality tent
to view the Honda powered racing machines and shake hands with the famous
drivers.

        Doug Meis,  1967 Honda S800
        "Rub shoulders, not fenders" - Official motto of Team Escargot