FW:

To: vintage-race
Subject: FW:
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:45:49 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/WINMAIL.DAT/i" at line 32]

     Date: Thu Apr 10 18:53 EDT 1997
     From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
     Subject: MGB crank/rod choices

It's really important that we know if it's 3-main or a 5-main motor.

I have just completed a rebuild of a 3-main for my MGB which will be
vintage raced later this year.  This is also my summer daily driver,
so my main target was to get as much torque as I could find within the
constraints of reliability and drivability. I have been driving the
car for about 2 months now and it is definitely is freeing up - it
seems to rev more freely and hits 5500rpm real quick.

I achieved my goal (although I can not measure reliability yet), but
the engine has GOBS of torque, so much so that I can out drag my VW
GTI (8v) upto about 60MPH. Then aerodynamics and gear ratios start
playing a part and the MGB start to get left behind. Both cars weigh
about the same, so I figure I have about similar HP (about 105) to the
VW but much more torque (this is a seat of the pants feeling).

Personally I think your goal of 6800-7000 redline may be optimistic
(if you don't want to build a grenade), I would stay a bit more
conservative. If you build a solid bottom end, then you can go to
6800-7000 later on.

gerry