Re: Racing a Special

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Racing a Special
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg@Autox.Team.Net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 10:09:15 -500
On 28 Feb 97 at 21:37, EPaul21988@aol.com wrote:

> I have recently otained a Coventry Climax engine, supposedly out of a Sunbeam
> Imp ?? I have not taken it down but is is supposedly 850 cc.

The Imp engine was a copy of the Climax design- aluminium block, overhead cam,
capable of reving to 9000 RPM and beyond, when built to the hilt. A very
delicate but robust plant, with lots of petential. (The Climax engine itself
originally was designed to be used as a fire water Pump!)

A stock Imp engine was 875cc, putting out about 37 hp, but easily tunable to
double that and beyond. There was also a GT version of 998cc, which can be
made to do well over 100 HP in highly tuned form. Some are even punched out to
over 1100 cc.

The Imp engine was used in some low production cars, Including a Bond, the
Davrian, and Ginetta G-15.

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."