Re: Checkered Flag

To: thomkuby@ridgecrest.ca.us
Subject: Re: Checkered Flag
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:34:36 PST
Thom Kuby wrote:

>White flag=final lap, "once more around..."
>black flag=no lap, "you're done..."
>I just wonder if someone didn't just consider these two other flags and
>"made soup" for the final flag?
>I'm shooting from the hip here, but the mind boggles...
>
>Am I even close?

Somehow I doubt it. The white flag meaning last lap is only familiar to
those of us 'Murricans who only know how to stand on it and turn left.
Of course the NASCAR and Indy car guys do grudgingly submit to road
courses once in a while, but they mostly don't like it.

I suspect it has some origins in heraldry, which is where most flags
come from, but I have no data.