TURNERS

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: TURNERS
From: dwilson@america.net (DOUG WILSON)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:47:08 -0500 (EST)
Does anyone have any information about Turners. I understand that some of
them came with 1300 FF engines, which are reportedly strong and durable. I
have seen a couple at the track but they were ususally rather "used up" and
were running 948 motors, which can be a challenge. On paper they look
interesting; GRM had a nice article about them about a year ago. My
objective is to find something that is similair to my 1275 spridget racer,
but that is a little more durable, especially when pushed. Again on paper it
looks like a poor guys Lotus Elan, or maybe the car that the spridget should
have been ( I bet that will cause a rukus). Specifically:
1. Are there any websites for this character ?
2. Which transmission & rearends were used ?
3. What HSR or SVRA group/class would a 1300 CC turner run in ?
4. Are body parts available ?
5. What is the story on suspension components ?
6. Any good books on this subject ?
7. Are there any shops and/or suppliers that specialize in this marque i.e.
Atlanta Import Parts for spridgets, Terry for jags, etc.
8. What is a reasonable price for one ?

On another subject. The continuing tirade about HSR/Savannah may be
misdirected. I was driving there and the primary cause was a cold track and
drivers that couldn't remember that race tires don't work very good at 50 to
60 degrees. The owners and employees at HSR work hard to provide a place to
race that is devoted to providing hassle free track time and good friendship.

 As for the concern regarding private ownership and a "profit motive"; the
owner/founders could live very handsomely without any income from HSR.  I'm
certain that the SCCA people have different ideas, but it's nice to be able
to avoid committees, meetings, boards, protest, etc. and simply race or go
plead your case with Joe or Ralph. There is a certain amount to be said
about a benevolent dictator or manager. Also contrary to popular opinion,
HSR will inflict some rather severe discipline for inappropriate driving or
behavior. In fact one of the OWNERS got to retire for a year because of an
incident.

The biggest problem with HSR is it's success and the schedule. The Walter
Mitty is simply overwhelming (BUT FUN)  and all of the races are in the
early spring and late fall. Also with 350+ entries, the fields get rather
crowded. If we keep harping on HSR's problems we may be able to cure the
crowding problem. Spread the word.

If you enjoy racing first and vintage cars second, then HSR is great. If you
prefer vintage cars first and racing second then it may not be you cup of
tea. I believe Mr. Levy alludes to some of the different  philosophies of
drivers in the Last Open Road. Maybe there was a message when HSR did not
use "vintage" in there name ? I believe all of the more righteous groups use
vintage in their name.

One suggestion for the new drivers that has not been mentioned is the value
of enduro's as opposed to sprints. I started last year and found that the
enduro's are much more valuable and less hectic. They allow you to settle
down and try different techniues for different turns. Also there is much
less emphasis on the "start", which is so critical in a sprint.