Re: Flying Shingle

To: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Subject: Re: Flying Shingle
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 13:04:07 +0000
> Are there any US listers who can go back to the mid fifties and
> recall seeing "The Flying Shingle" of Ken Miles in action?

Having gone to most of the CA races from the mid-fifties through the
mid-sixties, I remember the Flying Shingle - altho only vaguely since
I was young and more enamoured of bigger bore machinery at the time.

I did have the privilege of meeting Ken Miles after a speech he gave
at Riverside City College around 1962 - as a nineteen year old who'd
been using a forged driver's licence for two years to race my Healey,
I wanted to know how the Rodriguez Bros had been able to get past the
21 year old limit to race with the Cal Club. (The answer, basically,
was "If you're very fast, and very rich, there are different paths
open to you . . .")

A very mild-mannered fellow, but amazingly quick and very dedicated
to his profession.

Jim Hill
Madison WI