50's Sports Car Racing Film

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, triumphs-digest@autox.team.net,
Subject: 50's Sports Car Racing Film
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:58:00 +0000
Some time back, there was a note in one of the vintage/racing groups
that mentioned the film links on the Age & Treachery Racing web page.

Quirky folks, those aged and treacherous ones, but right there on the
page was a link to a film called "Hay Bales and Asphalt", produced by
"Inside Line Images" - which turns out to be a video of vintage
sports car racing in California from 1957 to 1961, taken on 16mm
motion picture film taken by Ron Ferreira and compiled for videotape
by Clark Smith. But I digress . . .

This film is, in a word, spectacular. Absolutely wonderful.

For a description of the film and some sample shots, see Clark's web
page at http://home.earthlink.net/~clarksmith/

I have no connection to this project and don't know either Mr. Smith
or Mr. Ferreira, but I was at many of the races covered by the film
- Santa Barbara, Pomona, Riverside - and this film is a treasure of
recalled memories for me. All the cars from Sprites to Scarabs and
all the drivers from obscure garage racers to racing legends are
there. There's even footage of the US Grand Prix the year it was
held at Riverside.

If you want to know what racing was like when our vintage cars were
pups, get yourself a copy of this film. A tad pricey at $40 perhaps,
but well worth it - I consider my copy as one of the best Christmas
presents I've ever gotten for myself.

Jim Hill
Vintage TR6 Racing
Madison WI