Car Trailer

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Trailer
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 96 13:06:01 pst
     I've got a generic question regarding car trailers and am looking for
     advice.

     I currently have a 20 foot(floor length) enclosed trailer made by Top
     Line.  It has two 3500 lb axles on trailer tires rated at 1850 lbs
     each.  After putting all my stuff, kid stuff and car into it -it
     weighs in at just under 6000 lbs.  I load most of the cargo in front
     of the axles.  I don't know the tongue weight.

     The Problem.  The trailer doesn't follow the tow rig very well.  A
     small steering correction makes the trailer undulate and whip.  I
     inflated the tires to 42# psi and use bilateral anti-sway load
     levelers at the hitch.  This does help but only a small amount.

     Any suggestions?

     Mordy Dunst