Re: Trim panel cardboard.

To: cdaly@passport.ca
Subject: Re: Trim panel cardboard.
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 17:25:54 PDT
More drivel on flat panel upholstery... ;=)

> At 10:22 AM 03/09/96 PDT, you wrote:
> >The stuff is actually a form of fiberboard you should be able to find at
> >a local hardware store or building supply.  It's basically pegboard
> >without the peg holes.  I got some at a Home Depot.
>
> Hi all,
> Re: the above.
> I recently replaced the door panels on my E exactly that way and it
> worked perfectly.  The product is (was) called Masonite and available
> at any (most) building supply places and, as Simon says, at Home Depot.
> Use the old panels as pattern, make *sure* when you apply the new
> cover (I used leather) that you have the "right" side up!!!! I marked the
> back side of each pattern with a big X so I wouldn't put it on the wrong
> side (very easy to do)  Masonite has a very hard surface and staples may
> be difficult to use...I used contact cement.

Actually, there are two kinds of this stuff, the hardened, and the
unhardened.  Masonite is the hardened stuff.  I do not recommend using
it.  I believe the Masonite is smooth on both sides, and uniformly hard
throughout.  The other stuff really is exactly pegboard without the
holes.  One side is smooth.  That's the side you glue the foam to, if
using foam under vinyl.  The other side is rough.  That's the side you
shoot the staples into.  They're easy to tell apart.  ;=) Using a staple
gun allows you to evenly stretch the vinyl over the panel.  I start in
the middle and work my way out.  You do still need to make sure you
pattern the stuff correctly for each side.  Taking one piece and making
two copies may not work exactly, even if you remember to turn it over
before cutting the second one.  These materials and techniques were
exact copies of those used by the finest Italian craftsmen who built my
30 year old Alfa Romeos.  Yeah, right.

> One important thing to do is to fit, fit and fit it again, making sure all
> mounting holes line up before you put on the cover. Especially make sure
> that all the door clips are lined up "dry" before you apply the cover.

I couldn't agree more.  If you are doing door panels, it would also be
wise to glue a sheet of plastic over the hole in the door before
attaching the new panel.  Kick panels and rear 3/4 panels shouldn't need
it.  If you are also mounting speakers in any of these panels, make sure
there are no interference problems with structural members.  Cut all the
holes and mount the speaker "dry" for a test fit. I also glued some foam
into the hollow behind the speaker to "deaden" the air space.