Axle tramp

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Axle tramp
From: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:29:56 +0100 (BST)
Dear all (twice or some of you subscribed to both lists)

Im after some advice following the first serious circuit outing of my new
car (1928 Riley with 6.1 deHaviland Gypsy Moth engine). The track
conditions were very wet (this may not be relevant)

I am suffering from axle tramp under braking (medium to heavy). Also it
seems as if there is ligght axle tramp at high speed. The car is
semi-eliptic leafs at the front and 1/4s at the rear.

What is tramp caused by? What is the motion of the wheel (up and down that
should be stopped by the dampers or fore and aft which should be stopped
by the stays from the chassis to the king pins)? How do I prevent it? What
factors affect it?
        Spring stifness
        Damper settings
        Pre tension of stays