Re: Propper engine for FA

To: Jim Isbell <JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Propper engine for FA
From: "Steve B." <"tinkersdamn@abac.com"@mail1.abac.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 19:10:35 -0700
Jim Isbell wrote:

> I have a Lola T540 that has been configures aerodynamicaly as a FA.  The
> engine in it is a WV (Super Vee) 4cyl water cooled.
>
> I want to put an engine in the car that would be correct for FA.  I think
> this engine is correct since I think Super Vee is allowed to race as FA, but
> am not sure.  If not, what would be the least ecpensive (hopefully
> obtainable from a junk yard) engine that would be correct.
>
> I know that the pro series uses a 1600 cc Toyota.  Would this engine be
> found in a Supra made since 1978?  I just happen to be looking for a Supra 5
> speed gearbox for my E-Type Jaguar and if I could pick up an engine for the
> Lola and a gearbox for the Jag in the same purchase it would be a great
> coup.  Since my Lola is a 1979 I would like to find a 1979 Supra (if it has
> the correct 1600cc engine).
>
>          JIM I.

> "Prefiero morrir de pie que vivir de rodillas."
>
>                                                          Gen. Emiliano Zapata
>                                                            1879-1919
Jim:
I recently sold my 1981 March Formula Atlantic to a friend in Minnesota.
The engine was a Cosworth BDD with a Hewland FT-200.  I believe, to be
vintage correct, you will have to use the Cosworth BDA or BDD with the
FT-200.  If your Atlantic is a space frame Atlantic with outboard brakes
and coil springs it is well worth keeping it "vintage".  If it is
monocoque the value is greatly decreased and you could and should do
what your racing organization will allow.  This same friend has a Super
V and I am sure he can help you.  I will supply his name and telephone
number via private e-mail.

Hope this helped a little.

Steve Bush