how modified should we be

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: how modified should we be
From: "Brian Evans" <brian.evans@quest.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 12:23:49 -0700
What are peoples thoughts on the level of modifications that are
appropriate for our Vintage cars?  I'm thinking of production type cars
like Sprites/Midgets, Mini's, TR-4's and Spitfires, and so on.  These
cars really need to have some degree of modification to race at all, but
how far should we go?

I think there are three levels of modification that could be considered:

1.      Race the car as produced in the year of manufacture.  Same type
of shocks, Wheel size up one inch, tires of similar size to what was
available then, no panhard rods, heim joints, trick suspension. Original
steel bodies, original brakes, transmission ratios, engine size, etc.
Factory options are OK.  Engine modifications restricted similar to SVRA
type rules.

2.      Race the car as it would have been raced in the era that it
originally raced.  This would allow the typical racing upgrades and
modifications that factories or typical period racing series allowed and
might include larger engines, different type of shocks, modified
suspension, modified bodywork to include fiberglass fenders/hoods, and so
on.  Most of the cars I've seen at SVRA, VARAC, HSR events do fall into
this category, even if only in one or two areas.

3.      Race the car with an outward vintage appearance, but with full
modern preparation.  This would probably not include tube frame Mini's
but would account for the GT-5/H-prod type cars that have narrowed their
fender flares and run so very fast at many events.  Modified suspension
pickup points, Dog type ultra-close gearboxes, different and much larger
brakes, different rear axles, five speed gearboxes - everyone know what I
mean.

I'm very interested in opinions...

Where am I coming from on this?  I race out of Canada, and belong to
VARAC.  I have a Cooper S and a 1961 MG Midget.  While I'm pretty close
to meeting the VARAC rules, which are pretty much option one above, when
I'm honest I have to admit that I've never really had a truly legal car,
nor have many of my friends that I race with.  We all seem to need to
modify the cars more than is really allowed to feel comfortable racing
with them.  If this is so, why not change the rules? Anyway, I'm curious
as to the combined attitude towards this subject.

Thanks.
--
Brian Evans
Major Account Manager