Re: a race

To: Paul Spray <GS0CU@askham-bryan.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: a race
From: "Brian Evans" <brian.evans@ns2.fiberlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 09:34:25 -0800
Paul Spray wrote:

> Just before I put the theory in to practice I just thought I'd ask
> your opinions,
> How do you think two standard minis would race against each other,
> Mine a 1275.
> and a 998 with " a bigger" carb.,RC40 exhaust,165x10 tyres+alloys
>  and thats all I think.
> Personaly I cant see how a car with a 28% bigger engine can loose
>
> Will I thash him from a standing start or what ?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul.

A friend of mine named Harry Beck (some of you may know him) vintage
raced a 1275cc Cooper-S with a good head, stock cam, pistons, etc.  I had
a full tilt 1071cc Cooper S motor - head, VP-4 cam, 14.5:1 compression,
weber, etc.  When last raced at Shannonville, we were dead even, and had
a great time.  Bottom line is that the 1275 would have to be just about
dead for ANY 998cc motor to keep up.  The issue is the increased torque
of the 1275, as any good 998cc could have more horsepower than a stock
1275...

sounds like fun trying, though!
--
Brian Evans