Re: Importing Cars from England

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Importing Cars from England
From: simon@lsil.com (Simon Favre)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 15:02:22 PDT
This subject came up recently in the Italian Cars mailing list. With
the imminent departure of Alfa Romeo from the US, many were asking
these same questions. While in the context of Vintage (or other)
racing, you can bring in just about anything as long as you never
attempt to license it for use on public roads. I have seen Demon Tweaks
F3000 cars at local Autocrosses! There is in fact an entire series for
F5000 cars in the US now, and they all surely came over from Europe
without any DOT interference. An obviously purpose-built race car may
actually be easier to get in than something in the "grey" area. A
Pre-War Bugatti or a Lola Can-Am car would be easier to get in than a
non-DOT certified ordinary road going car. Most, if not all of the old
"Grey Market" loopholes have been plugged.

>From: Anthony Migliore <MIGLIORE@novell.nadn.navy.miL>
>To: healeys@autox.team.net, semerasx@justice.usdoj.gov
>Cc: vintage-race@autox.team.net
>Subject:  Importing Cars from England -Reply
>Sender: owner-vintage-race@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>DOT and EPA are concerned about what goes on the road and it's safety.
>So why would they need to get involved with a piece of art, or piece of
>metal (car), which won't be driven on the road?  Of course to get the
>car in, I would state that I did not have any intentions of putting it
>on the road.  I may chose to change my mind a year later when it sits
>in my garage!

The most convincing argument against attempting this sort of thing had
to do with what the lawyers in the US would do to somebody involved in
an accident while driving a non-DOT certified car. Can you say, "Drawn
and quartered?" Sure you can. ;=(