Mini-Mania Mini-Sprite challenge quickie race report

To: mini-list@supernet.ab.ca
Subject: Mini-Mania Mini-Sprite challenge quickie race report
From: jimf42@mcs.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 18:32 CDT
First, thanks to list member Russell Johnson and friend for stopping by...if
you got any video of the race, I would like to somehow get a copy.

Race was at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, 2.4 miles, 14 corners. (watch for the
indy cars there in two weeks) Turnout was about 25 minis and sprites varying
in degrees of race prep and including Bob Tarzewell's full race Mini-Moke
(australian version with 1275 and 13" wheels).

Three cars, B. Baker, A. Carlotti and J. Famme had S&M Mini's new $4,000 (CAN)
cylinder head.  There were wide variations in weights of the cars.  I think
the Canadian cars were around 1350lbs, the very fast sprites were under
1300lbs.  Jahimiak's Sprite, Colby's sprite and Larson's Sprite all had
Comptune full national SCCA motors(at least). (I personally run a Swiftune
head, Longman offset dish forged pistons, Cooper S rods and close-ratio S/C
gears)  My Yoko A008s survived their 12th race weekend.

For those unfamiliar, the Sprites can run 13" wheels which have much greater
tire selection than the Minis, which must use 10" wheels.

Anyway, the event has a qualifying session to set grid for the qualifying
race, there is then a qualifying race to grid for the feature. (All starts are
rolling starts).

In the first qualifier, I had the 4th fastest time. The two real fast Sprites,
Brad Baker and then myself, followed by Jim Famme and Larson's Sprite. In the
qualifying race, Baker had terminal engine problems, leaving me 3d, Larson was
4th and Famme was 5th.  Baker was clearly the fastest Mini there, about two
seconds quicker than I, but still 3 seconds down to the fast Sprites.  Baker
is an excellent driver.

In the race Larson and Famme got by me on the first lap, I repassed them on
the second lap, then the race was red flagged for Derek Chima's rollover in
the keyhole section of the course.  On the restart, Larson's engine got him by
me again, followed by Famme.  I repassed Larson coming out of turn 11 and
outbraked Famme at the end of the straight.  (This took a couple of more
laps).  I managed to maintain my position and finished 3d overall, 1st in
class and the first Mini.

List member Kermit Wold's brother,(Mini #35) Greg Wold, acquitted himself
well, considering problems due to co-driver error in  Sat.'s enduro and had
some close racing with Bill Crosby (according to other spectators).

                Jim Fuerstenberg
                Jimf42@mcs.com

                Of course, what Shakespeare originally wrote
                was "Let's kill all the editors," but for some
                reason it didn't survive beyond the first draft.
                (W.S. Higgins)