Re: NHIS Vintage race report

To: krobinson@primavera.com
Subject: Re: NHIS Vintage race report
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 11:16:11 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 5 Jul 1995 krobinson@primavera.com wrote:

> I'm curious, not being a vintage racer myself, is slipping and sliding
> your car around going beyond the limits set for vintage racing?  Is it
> all right to push your car (and yourself) as long as it doesn't
> endanger anyone else or do you drive at 8/10 or 9/10 no matter what.
> What sort of driving antics will get you a black flag?

        Kendall,

        Let me say this up front. I'm not a vintage racer (though I do
        autocross an old TR4). Okay, now I'll start the fire... Isn't
        a "controlled 4 wheel drift" the way it was done back in the
        halcyon days when those old racers were the "hot new
        racers"? Having said that (I'll probably get creamed by the
        cognoscenti) I think the key word here is "controlled". I don't
        think that driving a vintage racer the way it was driven is "bad",
        so long as you aren't driving beyond your abilities and creating a
        hazard to the "other guy".

        You gotta remeber, vintage racing (in theory) is FOR FUN. If you
        have to win, go join the SCCA and play with the "big boys". Besides,
        if all these old cars were driven beyond their limits, pretty soon
        there won't be any vintage race cars for guys like me to take
        pictures of and write about... And that would just about wreck my
        summers!

        Anyhoo I've wasted enough bandwidth but that's how I see it.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois