Re: Need F 5000 Info for upcoming Book

To: "Annis, Casey" <cannis@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Subject: Re: Need F 5000 Info for upcoming Book
From: Leroy Lacy <leroyl@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 13:08:00 -0700 (PDT)
I crewed for some of the F5000 cars that ran in the San Francisco Region
from time to time.  I remember Ron Grable had the sweetist sounding Dodge
powered F5000 car.  It had an 8 into 1 bundle of snakes exhaust that
terminated in one giant 5 to 6 inch in diameter pipe.  That car howled
like a F1 V12 car.

I went to the Questor Grand Prix at Ontario Speedway.  That pitted F1
cars against the US F5000 cars.  I remember my friends and I had large
sums of money placed assuming that the F5000 cars would wipe the F1 cars
off the face of the earth.  What humiliation, the little F1 cars (I think
the formula was 1500 CC at that time) just killed the F5000 cars.  That
was almost more than a 60s era hotrodder could take.  I nearly gave up
cars and took up surfing.

Leroy Lacy
SCCA GT-2 #67