tvr

Re: Source for Vixen shocks.

To: skip47@home.com, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Source for Vixen shocks.
From: DonDavis@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 18:46:54 EST
In a message dated 03/09/2001 4:27:42 PM Central Standard Time,
skip47@home.com writes:

> Don-
> What you need to be looking for is function, not appearance.

When I said they looked good, I meant that they appear to be
of high quality. I could be wrong, I am not familiar with Nitron.

> Having said that, I will admit to enjoying people's reactions when they see
> what I have, which are (hideously expensive)Koni's and (reasonably
> inexpensive) Eibach springs. The message, however, is that with shocks
> you get what you pay for.  Cheaper units will not last as long, will be
> calibrated too soft, and you will not be happy.  If you're not planning
> to drive any faster than "briskly", then something inexpensive might
> suffice. If you intend to use the car to its capacity, then buy
> components that will meet and/or improve that capacity. I used Koni
> street shocks for years before upgrading; I don't know if they still
> make anything that would fit, but go to Koni-na.com for info. BTW, I put
> Koni's on my '64 TR4 back when it was still shiny, and they're still
> working well.

My car came with Konis when I bought it, and I have 6 NOS Konis that I bought
cheap from the local foreign car parts shop cause someone ordered them and
backed out. I was just suggesting the Nitrons as a shock to consider for
anyone on the list who is looking. If I build a Lowcost, which I am seriously
considering, I may order the Nitrons, so if anyone knows anything good or
bad about them I would like to hear it.

> As for fitting the shocks to the car: you need to be concerned with the
> method of attachment at both ends, and the height of the spring perch,
> which will determine how high the car sits off the ground.  The extended
> length mainly determines the bottom of the wheel travel.  It shouldn't
> be so long that the spring rattles loose at full extension.  Compressed
> length is limited by the shock body. If it's longer than what you have
> now, then your bump range (the distance the wheel can move up over
> bumps) will be reduced. You can get an idea of the strength of the shock
> by the diameter of the piston rod, bigger is normally stronger.

As I said in my note, the max and min lengths are the same. These are not
cheap shocks, they are adjustable, they have adjustable spring perchs and
are available with aluminum housings as an option. If you look at the site
I referred to you will see what I mean.

> Best,
> Skip Gurnee
> '70 Vixen LVX14704 (race car)

My Vixen came with only one shock on each corner. Is a Vixen
supposed to have one or two in the rear on each side? How many springs?
Can someone give me an idea what the original spring dimensions are.
I ordered new springs many years ago and got 6 identical springs.
Are they supposed to be all the same?

Don Davis
LVX1709/4

///