tvr

Exhaustive queries

To: usa-tvr@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Exhaustive queries
From: BREEDON@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 2:13:42 -0800
I plan to put a new exhaust system on my '74 2500M. Presently it has the
original manifolds and non-standard dual tail pipes that have been on there
for more than 10 years. Somewhere I think there is a leak but it is hard to
tell given the natural purr of the engine. I picked up one of those thingys
that merge the two manifolds into one tail pipe from Gene Bird and I had
planned simply to go to my local custom muffler shop and have them put
it on with a single tail pipe.  Gene told me any small muffler would do--
he once used one off a Corvair for a 2500M. I considered a free-flow
system, and was going to rely upon the advice of the exhaust technician.

But then I notice in the TRF catalog "Falcon high-performance stainless steel
headers for TR6."  Does anyone know if there would be any problem fitting
these into a 2500M?  Would they be compatible with the 2-into-1 thingy I
have or would dual pipes be better?  Would anyone be willing to guess what
the smog impact of high-performance headers might be? (I still have to pass
CA smog inspection--something that has turned into somewhat of a lifetime
goal.)  Any advice regarding 2500M exhaust systems would be appreciated.

Richard
1974 2500M (#3096TM)
1987 MB 190E (2.6l)
1987 Volvo 240 DL