tvr

Re: TVR: Vixen door shutlines

To: Dr John Upham <webmaster@ukmotorsport.com>,
Subject: Re: TVR: Vixen door shutlines
From: BobTescione <mogman@rpa.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 13:30:15 -0400
Ladies and Gentlemen:
What a timely topic. Last night I brought the TVR home from storage to
again begin working on its restoration. Mine is a transition car: Vixen
body with M chassis. 2311T.

I replaced the soft goods in the window assembly with the following
products from Restoration Specialties and Supply, RD 2 Box 24 Windber PA
15963 USA. As this restoration has stalled a number of times, these
items were purchased in 1994 and only one door has been upgraded to
date.

    1  AS1528  Channel
    1  M8 Belt Strip
    4  1 x 1/8 Hoodlace

This was enough to do both doors and including shipping cost $25 in
1994.

At the bottom of the aluminum channels inside the door was a rusted
bracket that bolted the assembly to the inside of the door. I
refabricated the rusted pieces from stainless steel and assume when I
install the assemblies that I will no longer have a potential rust
problem in that area.

Further, I located a plastic rivet similar to the type that TVR used to
attach the aluminium window assembly to the top of the door. I don't
remember the source of these fasteners other than it was an automotive
supplier.  From the top of the box:

    #5757 3/16" x 3/4" Mushroom Head Nylon Rivet-Steel Pin

When I install these assemblies to the door, I plan to use 3M Strip-Calk
between the GRP and the Aluminum. Of course, if there is a better choice
of materials, I, too would love to know about it before I assemble the
windows to the doors.

My body person was very successful in aligning the doors to the body, so
they look quite nice.

John, in the UK, I might try Woolies for the window channel materials.

Interesting, as i write this, there is more door discussion on the list.

Hope some of this has been helpful.

Bob Tescione
mogman@rpa.net