tvr

Re: Bumpsteer Etc.

To: "Hill, Stephen M AETT:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Bumpsteer Etc.
From: Bob Tescione <mogman@rpa.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:43:14 -0400
Hill, Stephen M AETT:EX wrote:

> Marcus Tooze speaks to the issue of bump steer on his homepage:
> http://www.calmit.unl.edu/tooze/tvr/
> Look under Front Suspension, and the note regarding changing the steering
> arm. I have emailed him and asked if this fix is specific to the M cars, or
> to the Vixens as well. Keep you posted.
>
> Somebody else on the list recently asked about a heavier roll bar. Note the
> section on roll bars off the same webpage . Marcus recommends replacing the
> rubber sockets with heim joints (known more commonly in N.A as rose joints,
> I think. Sounds like low cost change that really stiffens things up. Stephen

Greetings fellow TVR folk;
On Marcus' recommendation, I got a pair of TR4 steering arms for my car,
although I havent installed them yet. Mine is a transition car: M
chassis, Vixen body. Currently the steering arms are TR6 (or at least
everything else is, and Iassumed the steering arms are as well). The TR4
units are definitely shorter.

I'd like to have some recommendations on the Heim joints as to size, etc
for attaching the sway bar. Also a good source to pick them up--I assume
we'll need 4 of them. When I rebuilt my chassis, I used the plastic rack
mounts instead of the original rubber ones. Also used the plastic on the
rear diff mounts as well. Mind you I havent driven this car yet but I
think Ive gone the right way with the parts Ive chosen. Im using the
stock 5 1/2" x 15 wheels with 195/65x15 tyres-Continentals. New
suspension bushings, Grade 8 hardware where stress will occur and new
Monroe shocks. This car only has 27K miles but sat around a lot and got
the chassis all rusted, but no holes. Engine is stock TR6 US spec.

Hopefully I can get enough inspiration from the rest of you guys to get
off my butt and finish this restoration. Got some inspiration yesterday
leaving the 50th anniv at Watkins Glen in my Volvo 210 wagon when I
looked in the rear view mirror and had a gorgeous yellow 2500m following
me. Very Nice Car. and inspirational as was the whole weekend at WG.

Enough rambling
Bob Tescione
mogman@rpa.net