tvr

Re: tires/shocks question

To: zehrinwa@umdnj.edu, tvr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tires/shocks question
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:42:08 EST

>Dear all:
>
>Does anyone have some advice to offer regarding a brand of tires for my
>2500?  I'm sticking with the factory aluminum wheels (as soon as I can get
>them repainted), so its a 5.5 X 15 size.  The car came with 165 SR 15 tires
>(that had nice tread depth but lousy sidewalls).  I've only done some
>preliminary shopping; one fellow says that's a hard size to match nowadays,
>but has some "kelly springfields" for sale.  I have to admit that I haven't
>developed much knowledge on tires and can use advice.  Has anyone done
>comparison studies on this car and identified a good match?
>
>On a related note: the car has Koni's now but I've been told that it really
>would do better with adjustable spax.  Comments on that one??
>
>many thanks and have a good weekend!
>Will Zehring

Will-

Oh I love it when someone asks for an OPINION...lets me warm up the ole
keyboard...

Forget the Kelly Springfields, get some "real" tires under that car. The level
of handling available from your car in stock trim will be severly limited with
tires suitable to a wood paneled station wagon.
Tire choices are like favorite colors...everyone has a favorite, and no matter
what you say, they're not gonna switch. So, with that in mind, get your
favorite brand of tire, but for goodness sake, get the performance tire .
My 2500 sits on 205x60x15 performance tires, on the stock rims. I've been told
that this size will not fit all cars, so try one one your car first. I was
lucky in that they clear all four corners without a problem. I have found that
the car is not exactly "square" as the left rear is very close, but clears in
all circumstances.
On the shock question...I have the Spax adjustables (and stock springs) on it
and have found that to obtain equal corner weights on the car, the spring
heights are set waay different on each of the corners (yes the car
sits level), so i'd vote for the adjustables.

As always...the opinionated
       Nick in Nor Cal