Re: [TR] TR4/6 Voltage Stabilizer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4/6 Voltage Stabilizer
From: Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 14:40:00 -0400
Cc: billbrewer59@yahoo.com
I built my own voltage stabilizer.

At the time, Moss had one that used a diode and a transistor as a form of a
crude shunt regulator.

I used a LM2940â??10 automotive low dropout 10 V analog regulator.

Sense and I have seen photographs of the guts of the newer electronic
regulators. It appears they use a single voltage regulator with no other
components around it.

As I recall,  These used a through hole TO 220 device with the legs bent over
90 degrees and no heat sinking.

Not ideal

All these analog regulators need proper capacitors on the input in output side
of the regulator.

My regulator with the LM 2940â??10 has been in use since probably about 2004
with no problems in a TR4A

I can give further details, schematics, etc. to people if they are interested.

-Tony

> On Jun 1, 2022, at 2:01 PM, triumphs-request@autox.team.net wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 19:12:36 -0700
> From: William Brewer <billbrewer59@yahoo.com>
> To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: [TR] TR4/6 Voltage Stabilizer
>
> ???? I have a TR4 temperature gauge in my TR3. The Moss gauge voltage
> stabilizer only lasted a few thousand miles and the quit outputting the
> 10 volts. Anybody else having short lifespans on their voltage
> stabilizers? Are there better ones out there? Moss makes a big deal
> about "Modern electronics in a vintage style housing". Screw the vintage
> style housing, I want dependability. Is there an aftermarket one that
> has a long life?

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html

Unsubscribe/Manage: