[TR] Fuel pump gone wild

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Fuel pump gone wild
From: Bud Rolofson <levilevi@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:15:56 -0700
Listerati,

What could happen to make my Spitfire mechanical fuel pump start pumping
excessive fuel pressure? I tried two different vacuum gages inline to the fuel
line between the pump and the carbs and they both showed over 10 psi (maxed the
gage actually). That overwhelms the float needle valves and makes the carbs
flood making the engine barely idle and die if I try to increase the rpmâ??s.

I guess I donâ??t know enough about how fuel pumps limit fuel pressure
internally. Is there something internal to the pump that could fail? Maybe one
of the round valves?

I also tried inline fuel pressure regulators (three different ones) but it
didnâ??t seem to faze the high pressure. That was puzzling also.

Once it warms up a little Iâ??ll try a spare pump.

Thanks
Bud

Sent from my Commodore 64 Sent from my Commodore 64
** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html

Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/mharc@autox.team.net