Re: [TR] Engine Starting Issue...

To: Joel Justin <j_bar_j@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Engine Starting Issue...
From: John Linney <john@linneyweb.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:47:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-AEBCB107-A91D-4505-AFAA-DADD31C8885A
        charset=utf-8

Hi Joel - It does sound like it=E2=80=99s flooding. It could be that your el=
ectric fuel pump is kicking out too much pressure and overcoming the float v=
alve, unless you have a regulator. The carbs need only 3 or 4 pounds at the m=
ost. I have seen this issue with a friend=E2=80=99s TR6. -john

> On Aug 27, 2021, at 12:10 PM, Joel Justin <j_bar_j@hotmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a question. I've got a 1965 Tri=
umph 2000 Mk1 Saloon. The engine is basically a GT6 2 liter with dual Stromb=
erg CD150 carbs. I have a starting issue and I'd like to tap into the wisdom=
 of this group. When I first go to start the car, I give it a little choke, p=
ump the accelerator once or twice and leave it at about half throttle, and t=
urn the key. The car always starts right up, even if it's been sitting for a=
 month. But if I pull it out into the driveway, and turn it off (or stall it=
 =F0=9F=98=89), then try to restart it, it struggles. It cranks and cranks w=
ith the RPMs increasing like it's thinking about starting, and sometimes it d=
oes, but others, it takes several cycles of that before it starts. The warme=
r the engine, the harder it is to restart. If I let it cool for say a half h=
our, it starts right up again. The carbs were rebuilt about a year ago (this=
 happened before and after the rebuild). I've replaced the mechanical fuel p=
ump with an electric one thinking it might be a weak fuel pump, but that did=
n't solve it. I improved my grounding to ensure I wasn't stealing coil volta=
ge for the starter, and I even replaced the starter with a high-torque versi=
on to get a higher spin rate. None of this helped. I thought vapor lock migh=
t be the issue (I also installed a head shield for the carbs), but it happen=
s when it's cold too. The only thing left I can think of is that the carbs a=
re flooding. But when I rebuilt them, I was careful to set the float height.=
 Before I pull the carbs to check/adjust, does anyone have any suggestions o=
n what might be causing this?
>=20
> Thanks, Joel Justin...
> 1954 TR2
> 1958 10 Estate
> 1960 TR3A
> 1961 TR4
> 1965 2000
> 1971 GT6
>=20
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archi=
ve
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john@li=
nneyweb.com

--Apple-Mail-AEBCB107-A91D-4505-AFAA-DADD31C8885A
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Hi Joel - It does sound like it=E2=80=99s f=
looding. It could be that your electric fuel pump is kicking out too much pr=
essure and overcoming the float valve, unless you have a regulator. The carb=
s need only 3 or 4 pounds at the most. I have seen this issue with a friend=E2=
7, 2021, at 12:10 PM, Joel Justin &lt;j_bar_j@hotmail.com&gt; wrote:<br><br>=

olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
[...]
 does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this?</div>
olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Thanks, Joel Justin...</div>
olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">