Re: [TR] [EXTERNAL] Re: Brake fluids again

To: "Reihing, Randall S." <Randall.Reihing@utoledo.edu>, Randall <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>, Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] [EXTERNAL] Re: Brake fluids again
From: TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 10:02:19 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_88272_1635630036.1587045739897

Making the switch without a complete flush doesn't harm anything.  With DOT 5
you will get improvements in brake/clutch line corrosion resistance, but to
maximize it you  might want to blow air through the drained lines to get as
much of the old Dot 4 out as possible, since it will cling to the low spots in
the lines after you drain the system.

I've run DOT 5 silicone ever since restoring my 3 in 2006.  Really glad I did.

> On April 16, 2020 at 8:33 AM "Reihing, Randall S."
> <Randall.Reihing@utoledo.edu> wrote:
>
>     Hello All,
>
>     Thank you Randall for this valuable and important clarification.
>
>     I am in the process of replacing just the rotors, calipers and two of the
> flexible brake lines to teh calipers. Can I drain out the existing DOT 4 and
> switch to DOT 5?
>
>     Or do I need to completely flush the entire system and replace all the
> wheel cylinder, master cylinder, and clutch master and slave cylinder seals
> when converting from DOT 4 to DOT 5?
>
>     Randall Reihing
>     1959 TR3A

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Making the switch without a complete flush doesn't harm anything.&nbsp; With
DOT 5 you will get improvements in brake/clutch line corrosion resistance, but
to maximize it you&nbsp; might want to blow air through the drained lines to
get as much of the old Dot 4 out as possible, since it will cling to the low
spots in the lines after you drain the system.&nbsp;&nbsp;
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   I've run DOT 5 silicone ever since restoring my 3 in 2006.&nbsp; Really glad
I did.&nbsp;&nbsp;
   On April 16, 2020 at 8:33 AM "Reihing, Randall S."
    Thank you Randall for this valuable and important clarification.&nbsp;
12pt; color: #000000;">
12pt; color: #000000;">
    I am in the process of replacing just the rotors, calipers and two of the
flexible brake lines to teh calipers. Can I drain out the existing DOT 4 and
switch to DOT 5?&nbsp;
12pt; color: #000000;">
12pt; color: #000000;">
    Or do I need to completely flush the entire system and replace all the
wheel cylinder, master cylinder, and clutch master and slave cylinder seals
when converting from DOT 4 to DOT 5? &nbsp;
12pt; color: #000000;">
12pt; color: #000000;">
    Randall Reihing
12pt; color: #000000;">
    1959 TR3A
12pt; color: #000000;">
   <hr style="display: inline-block; width: 98%;">
sans-serif;"><strong>From:</strong> Triumphs
&lt;triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net&gt; on behalf of Randall
[EXTERNAL] Re: [TR] Brake fluids again</span>
     &nbsp;
     All brake fluid is "synthetic" whether it says so on the can or not.&nbsp;
It's
claims theirs
the
paint,